I think I am adjusting well. Yesterday was a hard day, and I cried part of the morning, because of so many different pressures. My dear friend Erica is such a comfort.
I'm learning to walk slower, and find the beauty in slowing down. I've replaced my cross ring on my left ring finger with my mom's gold ring, so I get less attention from the men. I eat my cereal with boxed milk, buy fruit from the woman on the corner, and brush my teeth with tap water. My shoes/pants are always covered in dirt, but my sunglasses keep it out of my eyes. My braids were starting to dread at the ends, so I melted them. I burned some of my real hair on accident, but oh well. Then I woke up in the middle of the night with my mosquito net tangled in my hair, because the ends of my braids got stuck in the fabric like velcro. Naturally, I sent a text to my sister explaining that I have to sleep in my hood so my weave doesn't get stuck in my mosquito net. Such a funny text! Although it was a pain and cut into my sleep, I put on my hoodie and was thankful not to wake up to another dog being shot, like the night before.
Today has been very cold. I didn't have my gloves this morning, and stood in front of the immigration office for half an hour in the cold, but I met some nice people and walked back to the office. Overall, a good day.
I better get back to work.
Tuesday, June 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment