Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I arrived in Zambia last Monday. Last Wednesday, I attended the office prayer retreat, and Thursday was my first day here in the IJM Zambia field office.

Working as a professional in a developing country is a new experience for me. It’s challenging, not because it is developing, but because I am in a different role here. I am used to working in a law office, especially an office dealing with property law. And I am used to traveling to developing countries, but I had not combined the two until now. I have to reconcile two parts of myself that have always remained separate. I did not realize I would be faced with that challenge until last week’s workshop.

Last Friday, I traveled to a compound to help out with one of our workshops where we go into communities to teach the women about their property rights, and inform them of rape and defilement laws (and what to do if it happens). During the afternoon, the dirt field outside of the church filled with children playing soccer. That was one of my favorite parts of traveling to Mexico—playing in the dirt with a bunch of kids. :) There was a moment when I wanted to run towards them, but then I realized that I was wearing a suit and working as a legal intern. I could not leave my responsibilities to go play. So this is what it’s like to grow up. I think I will handle it much better now that I recognize that desire and my differing role here.

On Saturday, my roommates and I spent the afternoon at the Zambia Field Office Director’s house. She has many children, and the youngest child (age 6) became my buddy. He must have known how much I missed kids and hugs, because he glued himself to me. God takes care of His children, and gives us what we need. I’m thankful for Chikwana (I don’t know how to spell his name), and I think I’m adjusting to my new role quite well.

I want to make sure that I maximize all of my time here, but I’m also discovering that I will have to return another time with a different agenda. I haven’t even left, and I already want to plan a trip to return—maybe not to Zambia specifically, but Africa for sure. Looking forward to another trip allows me to focus on the legal work that needs to be done, because I know I can always come back to live in the bush. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment